I was wondering if there was a way to draw up a Will that includes the distubution of my SSI?

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was wondering if there was a way to draw up a Will that includes the distubution of my SSI?

Could I get get a court appointed payee that would make sure that my children would be properly taken care of. I want to be sure due to the fact that I really don”t trust that my ex-spouse will do what’s right.

Asked on September 24, 2013 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

That is not really how SSI works. To get benefits, a child must have a parent(s) who is disabled or retired and entitled to Social Security benefits; or a parent who died after having worked long enough in a job where he or she paid Social Security taxes.

The child also must be: unmarried; younger than age 18; 18-19 years old and a full-time student (no higher than grade 12); or 18 or older and disabled. (The disability must have started before age 22.)   

A guardian for the child would apply for the benefit for the child.  I think you want to appoint some one to watch over them financially for this purpose which may be possible but not likely.  If you pass on your ex would be their guardian under the law.  If it is possible that your kids could receive benefits now look in to it while you are able. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption