What to do if Iwas with someone who was caught shoplifting and now the cops won’t leave me alone?

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if Iwas with someone who was caught shoplifting and now the cops won’t leave me alone?

I was with someone when they were caught shoplifting. I had no clue what was going on. I bought my items and walked to my car; the person who shoplifted came out behind me to the car and the manager followed. They returned the merchandise and we left. Later the cops showed up at my parent’s house looking for me. My dad gave them my number and they want to talk with me. They say they have more information the the manger told them. They don’t know my friends name and I don’t want to give them up but I don’t want to be charged for anything. What should I do?

Asked on October 18, 2011 under Criminal Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are a witness to a crime (shoplifitng by your friend) you are required to answer questions about the incident by law enforcement. Failure to cooperate with the investigation could result in you being a possible suspect and being charged with the offense.

If the police want to talk to you about the incident involving your friend and you are concerned that you might be charged with a crime, you should consult with a criminal defense attorney about the event and then have the attorney contact law enforcement for you to assist.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption