How to becoming a trustee for my father’s estate?

UPDATED: Jul 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to becoming a trustee for my father’s estate?

I am a co-administrator of my father’s estate. My grandmother waived her rights as executrix and trustee. I was told by the commissioner of accounts auditor that I needed to seek legal advise for becoming a trustee. In my father’s Will it said that all monies in accounts go to my grandmother in trust for my sister and I. If the Will is too vague how is a lawyer going to help me resolve this matter? Can I go to court myself and see what they suggest?

Asked on July 8, 2012 under Estate Planning, Virginia


Brad Micklin / The Micklin Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It does not appear to be a question of ambiguity in the will. I think they were recommending you seek advice on administrating the estate and setting up a trust. These are very complex matters. If it were just a matter of probating the estate, there are forms online that you could use.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption