If I am listed the executor for my deceased grandfather’s trust andmy aunt is theis the trustee, what rights do I have?

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am listed the executor for my deceased grandfather’s trust andmy aunt is theis the trustee, what rights do I have?

Am entitled to a copy of the trust? As far as I understand, the house was left to my aunt and her husband. My fear is that she will not be able to keep house and pay bills and then my grandparent’s belongings would be sold.

Asked on March 7, 2012 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for your troubles.  You have some of the terminology confused here and we need to start by clearing it up. You are correct in that the person in charge of the trust is the trustee so that would be your aunt.  An executor, however, is in charge of the Will of a decedent (your grandfather) and that would be you.  Wills are public record when they are filed; trusts are not.  But I do think that as the executor of the Will you have some authority to be shown the trust and to force the issue if need be.  And you may need legal help to understand how both work one with the other.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption