What to do if I was the driver of a car accident in which I hit an 8 year old boy in a crosswalk on a skateboard?

UPDATED: Dec 11, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 11, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was the driver of a car accident in which I hit an 8 year old boy in a crosswalk on a skateboard?

He has head injuries. The accident occurred about 5:30 at night and I did not see him.

Asked on December 11, 2013 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

1) If you have insurance, provide your insurer with notice of the accident--under many policies, if you are aware of a claim or potential claim and do not inform your insurer, you have breached your obligations and can lose coverage.

2) If you have insurance and are contacted by the other side (e.g. the boy's parents or guardians, or their insurer) for money, refer that to your insurer to defend and/or indemnify (pay for) you.

3) If you don't have insurance and they seek money from you, retain an attorney to defend you and/or seek to make a settlement you can afford.

4) If you end up with a judgment against you whic you cannot afford, consider bankruptcy as an option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption