How to get a satisfaction of judgement filed?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get a satisfaction of judgement filed?

I was sued by my landlord and she took me to court 6 years ago. I lost but paid the judgement in full right away. She never filed a satisfaction of judgement so on my credit report for the last 6 years shows that it was unsatisfied. When I called her and asked her to do it she said she was too busy. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Alaska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

What she said was surely unreasonable an upsetting I am sure.  But you need to take a deep breath and step back.  You can get a form known as a "Satisfaction of Judgement" and fill it out yourself and sen it to her to execute and then you yourself can file it with the county clerk and send the credit agencies a copy.  I would consider asking an attorney to do this for you on a flat fee basis.  She may not be "too busy" to respond the him or her.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption