How do I know if I have a criminal charge pending?

UPDATED: Nov 25, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 25, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I know if I have a criminal charge pending?

I was stopped around 3am while walking home thru the city to my apartment. I unknowingly walked thru a private area (right by a building under construction). The officer explained that I had been stopped because I was trespassing the private property. I explained that I was just trying to get home and the officer took my ID and took down my information. He then sent me on my way, without writing a ticket or anything of the sort. Now I am worried about what may happen from this. Is it still possible for them to try and charge me with trespassing? I used the state online case search and there has been nothing new under my name but I can’t help but keep worrying that I will be charged with this sometime in the future.

Asked on November 25, 2013 under Criminal Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There are two types of trespass: criminal and civil.  Criminal is governed under the Indiana statutes and is generally classified as a Class A misdemeanor (although it can be classified as a felony).  Now, generally speaking, in order to charged with criminal trespass there are certain factors involved, but the main issue is that you have to have knowingly entered some ones property after having been denied entry.  Being denied entry can mean told to you or a sign posted.  So the facts here matter.  Was there a sign posted, was the property fenced in if required, etc.  I think that you should speak with some one but in taking an educated guess here I think that any ticket issued could be resolved in your favor. This may be a waiting game so wait and see if anything is charged or ticketed. Keep checking and if something is charged speak with a lawyer.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption