What is considered to be proper service of process?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is considered to be proper service of process?

I was served a summons a few days ago in regards to a financial debt. However, I found it placed under the door of my residence with the request to be at a court hearing later this month. Because I wasn’t there and the fact that it was placed under my door, what are my legal rights in regards to these proceedings?

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, service of the summons and complaint depending upon where the defendant resides can be done as follows:

1. personal service;

2. publication in a newspaper after a court order is obtained;

3. sub-service and mailing (for example roomate over 18 years of age is served for the defendant);

4. certified mail if service is out of state with return receipt.

The leaving of the summons under your door is not legal and proper service of the summons and complaint.

I suggest that you go down to the court house, pull the file and make sure that the process server's proof of service on you does not state that you were personally servd with those documents you found under your door.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption