What can be done if I was refused employment for not having a college decree but others without a degree were still hired?

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done if I was refused employment for not having a college decree but others without a degree were still hired?

I was recruited back to a company I worked at for over 10 years. After applying I was sent an email I didn’t qualify since policy was changed to mandatory college decree. I since know others that were rehired without a degree. I am a 49 year old women and was very successful when I was there.

Asked on June 17, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If a company has a hiring policy, they shoud stick to that hiring policy to avoid any claims of discrimination.  Since you are a memeber of a protected class, then you may have a discrimination claim.  It appears their reason for not hiring you is merely pretext for some other reason.  You can file a state or federal claim for discrimination.  The Texas Human Rights Commission has a procedure that you can review online for filing a complaint.  You can also hire an attorney to help you through the process to insure that you don't accidentally waive any procedures, remedies, or timelines associated with the filing of your complaint.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption