What to do if I was recently terminated from a 1099 position with a Class B contractor but he is refusing to pay me for my last 2 weeks of work?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was recently terminated from a 1099 position with a Class B contractor but he is refusing to pay me for my last 2 weeks of work?

He has avoided my calls or made excuses until today when we were supposed to meet. He then told me he didn’t know what he could pay me because he had to redo work he never told me was unsatisfactory. The only proof of employment I have from him is hand written checks for each week I worked. I asked repeatedly to fill out any paperwork or provide appropriate information for tax purposes and was told we would do it when he had the forms with him. What are my rights in this matter?

Asked on August 23, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You have a right to be paid for all the work you did, pursuant to the agreement--written or oral/verbal--under which you were working; oral agreements to work for pay are enforceable.

If not paid, you could you sue him in, say, small claims court, where you could act as your own attorney. You would need to prove, such as by your testimony, by the hand written checks, etc., the terms of the agreement (i.e. what work you were supposed to do; what you were supposed to be paid for it) and that you did the work.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption