What to do if I was recently fired from a job and my boss denied me my paycheck?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was recently fired from a job and my boss denied me my paycheck?

He said he had reason to believe that I was stealing. He’s showed me paperwork but someone could have easily logged in the computer underneath my number.

Asked on January 11, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

He can't deny you your paycheck--even if you did steal. An employee must be paid for all work done, even if he or she owes money to the employer, unless the employer agreed to allow the employer to take amounts owed out of a paycheck.

If your employer thinks you stole, he can do any of the following:

1) Ask if you will repay the amount he believes you stole;

2) If you won't repay, he could try to sue you for the money he believes you owe--he'd have to prove the theft in court to recover money;

3) If he thinks you stole, he could report you to the police--theft is a crime, after all.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption