What can I do if I was rear -an ended by uninsured motorist?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I was rear -an ended by uninsured motorist?

I was driving my girlfriend’s car from the store, to the house (within 2 miles). I was rear-ended by an uninsured driver She has full coverage by state standards but no uninsured motorist and I am not on her policy. Are we basically screwed and have to pay ourselves for damages?

Asked on May 18, 2017 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

IF you feel that the at-fault driver (and note: the law presumes that the driver who rear-ended you was at fault, since she had the obligation to maintain a safe following distance and speed and to pay attention, so she could stop in time) would have the assets (e.g. money in the bank; property on which you could put a lien) or income (e.g. a job, the wages of which could be garnished if you win a court case) to pay for your losses, injuries, or damage, you could sue the driver--even if she does not have insurance, she can be required to pay out of pocket. The key thing is, she must appear that she will have the money or assets to pay: a court judgment does not make money appear where there is none (as the old saying goes, "you can't get blood from a stone"), so if she is insolvent, there's no point in suing--even if you win, you will not recover anything.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption