What will happen if I was questioned about shoplifting by my employer and I ended up admitting that I did it?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I was questioned about shoplifting by my employer and I ended up admitting that I did it?

About 10 or less small items, totaling being no more than $100, maybe $200. They are running an investigation and was put on administrative leave. They did not call the cops; I wrote a statement of what we discussed unfortunately did include that I acknowledged that I stole. Am I at fault now because I signed that paper? Should I get a lawyer? They did not say whether they were pressing charges or not though. Would this be considered a misdemeanor or petty theft?

Asked on December 30, 2015 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The fact s that you don't have to appear at the police station. It's your choice. Whatever you do, under no circumstances speak with the police without having an attorney with you. no matter how innocent you may be, you could inadvertently say something incriminating about yourself regarding this matter. You are under no obligation to speak with the authorities if they come to your home. If you speak to them without having a lawyer to represent your interests, it is to their benefit. They can and will try to get you to implicate yourself. Again, do not speak to them without legal representation. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption