What to do if I was put on a 90 suspension for not meeting weight requirements for my company?

UPDATED: Dec 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was put on a 90 suspension for not meeting weight requirements for my company?

At the time of suspension, I was told that I would have to complete a program to go back to work. Then, 60 days after suspension, I was told the the program was not available to employees in my region.

Asked on December 31, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Do you have a written employment contract? If you do, you can enforce any of its terms that would protect you in this case, such as limitations on the reasons for disciplinary action or a specified disciplinary process. However, if you do not have an employment contract, you are an employee at will. Just as an employee at will may be terminated at any time, for any reason, so can they also be suspended at any time for any reason. You could try to argue that, if you are obese, that this amounts to illegal discrimination against the disabled; however 1) I am not aware of obesity having been considered a disability for this purpose; and 2) even if it were to be considered a disability, if the weight requirements fill a valid, business related purpose (e.g. you have to be able to fit into a certain-sized space to do maintenance work, if that's your job; you have to be able to climb or carry a certain amount of weight, if that's a job requirement; etc.), they could likely enforce the weight requirement in any event.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption