If a warrant as your SSN listed incorrectly, does this qualify for a dismissal of the charges?

UPDATED: Oct 30, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 30, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a warrant as your SSN listed incorrectly, does this qualify for a dismissal of the charges?

I was pulled over by a state game warden and was taken to the jail. He filed a warrant of arrest and gave it to the magistrate. He then folded it up and put it in my pocket because I was handcuffed talking to the magistrate. When I was given a unsecured bond I was released. After I got home I looked at the warrant and noticed that it had the wrong social security number on it.

Asked on October 30, 2014 under Criminal Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there is doubt that you are the correct person and that it seems the warrant named the wrong person, then yes, you could likely get the charges dismissed. But if this is purely typographical or clerical error and there is no doubt but that they have the right person, they will not dismiss the case for this mistake, but will simply amend, or correct, the filing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption