If I was pulled over by a police officer who knew me and they ran my name, can that be done without cause?

UPDATED: Nov 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was pulled over by a police officer who knew me and they ran my name, can that be done without cause?

I was stopped because my license was suspended over a child support issue. I had not violated any traffic laws and there was no cause to run my name other than recognizing me. Is this really legal? Can I get this charge dismissed due to improper police procedure?

Asked on November 29, 2011 under Criminal Law, Idaho


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If a law enforcement officer knew that your driver's license had been suspended due to a child support issue and he or she saw you driving a motor vehicle, then the knowledge of your suspension for driving and the viewing of you driving a motor vehicle in and of itself was probable cause to stop you to confirm whether or not your driver's license had been reinstated or not.

If you do not have a criminal defense attorney representing you in the issue concerning a suspended driver's license, you should retain one. The charge is a misdemeanor where if convicted the result could be a substantial fine, jail, community service and a permanent criminal record. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption