If I was promised a raise but have not received it?

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was promised a raise but have not received it?

I work at a hotel for $8 an hour. When I was hired Iwas told that ,after 30 days and with no substantial mistakes, I would be given a raise. About a month and a half after I started I asked my manager about the raise and between she and the owner it took about 3 weeks to finally get a typed and signed paper, from the owner, that I had achieved a raise to $9 that would be applied to the next pay period. During the 2 weeks between the pay period there was a mistake made on my part that caused the owner to text me saying because of it I wouldn’t be getting the raise. I was curious if he can do this after he signed saying that I had achieved the raise. Can he just choose to not pay it?

Asked on December 4, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Nebraska


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No he cannot choose to not pay it. Further, that information he told you is not enforceable on his part; if he said no substantial mistakes (especially if this is written somewhere), he needs to understand the term substantial and the term mistake is so vague when put together that no one can simply understand what that would mean. Here, you received a written agreement stating you would be getting the raise. Just because you made a mistake does not entitle this person to now discriminate. You need to contact the HR for the hotel and put your grievance in writing. The company cannot fire you in retaliation but employment at will is usually the norm in most states so tread carefully. Talk to the state labor department if you feel it would be helpful or talk to legal counsel about your rights. Either private labor lawyers in your state or if you cannot afford one, try legal aid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption