If I was ordered to stay in a certain county, how will it work if I was offered a better job elsewhere?

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was ordered to stay in a certain county, how will it work if I was offered a better job elsewhere?

Asked on November 27, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

In most states, courts permit a custodial parent to move out of state with the child if the parent has a legitimate reason for the move (as opposed to a bad faith reason such as merely wanting to get away from the non-custodial parent). And relocting for a better job has been deemed to be a valid reason. Thus, non-custodial parents who seek to prohibit the custodial parent from moving are typically unsuccessful.

The reason for allowing the custodial parent to move with the child is that it is unrealistic to assume that they should be required to reside in one location for an extedned period of time, especially since the non-custodial parent is always free to move. In other words, the custodial parent should have an equal right to move. Additionally, courts routinely allow the custodial parent to move with the child in order to discourage relitigation of custody.

That having all been said, the courts consider whether the move is in the "best interests" of the child.

Kristina Combs / The Law Firm of Kristina L. Combs, PLLC

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Without any more facts, you probably are the parent with the right to designate the child's primary residence, and you are referring to a geographic restriction in a parent-child relationship order. If you simply ignore the court order, you may be held in contempt. The only way to change the geographic restriction is to go to Court to request a modification in the current order. It is best to contact an attorney about your specific situation to discuss options.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption