What to do if I was on a lease with2 people who got us evictedbut I’mthe only person getting charged and the only one with something on their record?

UPDATED: Feb 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was on a lease with2 people who got us evictedbut I’mthe only person getting charged and the only one with something on their record?

They had their dad as a co-signer, I moved out two-three weeks after living there and moved an hour away to my girlfriends but still payed them rent every month. They got evicted which came back on me too. Apparently the complex got bought out and they said they didn’t get charged anything and everything was dropped. When I questioned the complex they raised the amount for me to over 4k and turned it in to a collection agency which has caused problems for me to get a new place and yet they just moved into a new place no problem. I don’t get what’s going on here

Asked on February 25, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you moved out of the rental that you jointly shares with two other people, yet continued to pay rent timely for the unit you were obligated on, but the two former roommates ended up getting evicted where you are being sought to be held liable for the entire amount of claimed damages, you have the following recourse:

1. you can pay the money claimed owed by you alone and after paying the amount sue the former roommates for the amount that you paid for them;

2. advise the collection agency to seek recourse from the former roommates and their father who co-signed for the lease.

What happened is that you did not get a full release from your former landlord as to any contractual obligations you had.

You also should consider consulting with a landlord tenant attorney about your situation and for further assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption