If Iwas offered a job but the hiring firm outsourced to handle my paperwork made a mistake that cost me the job, what should I do?

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Iwas offered a job but the hiring firm outsourced to handle my paperwork made a mistake that cost me the job, what should I do?

I was recently offered a job with a company; however, this job was contingent on successful completion of a drug screen and physical. I passed both, but the hiring firm the company used to process my results sent the employer the wrong information and i was taken off the new hire list. I cannot reapply until the company holds its next training session which is still several months away. I was wondering if I had any course of action in this matter.

Asked on October 24, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

It is possible that you may have a cause of action against the hiring firm under one of two theories:

1) Negligence: they voluntarily took on a duty to process your application correctly; they then were unreasonably careless in fulfilling that duty, thereby depriving you of the opportuntity to be hired.

2) Defamation: if they provided negative factual information about you that caused someone to not want to work with you, that could possibly be considered defamation.

In either event, you may be able to recover losses--such as the loss  of income for the time you are not hired due to the error. It is worth discussing the situation in detail with an employment law attorney, to see if you do have a cause of action, what it would take to pursue it, and what it might be worth.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption