What can I do if I was notified that I have a warrant out for my arrest due to a revocation of a suspended sentence and probation?

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I was notified that I have a warrant out for my arrest due to a revocation of a suspended sentence and probation?

I have not been arrested in 8 years and that was for a public intoxication charge. I really am at a loss. I don’t want to turn myself in just to spend a week sorting it out.

Asked on June 28, 2015 under Criminal Law, Virginia


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can try a couple of different things.  The easiest way is to hire an attorney to go negotiate a work out plan for you.  They won't toss the attorney in jail and they can often work out agreements for payment of a fine in exchange for a withdrawal of a warrant.  This is assuming that you don't have a defense associated with the statute of limitations, speedy trial, or due diligence since it's been 8 years since your last arrest.  This info will give the attorney some bargaining leverage on your case.

Your other option is to simply call them and explain that you want to pay your fine and be done with it.  The risk that you take is them trying to get your address so they can take you into custody-- thus resulting in you sitting in jail and trying to figure everything out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption