If I was molested by my father and he gave me an STD, can I sue him?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was molested by my father and he gave me an STD, can I sue him?

Asked on January 4, 2013 under Personal Injury, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Because you have a physical injury, and most likely an emotional injury, associated with the molestation, you could file a personal injury suit against your father.  In addition to a civil action, you could also press criminal charges for sexual assault of a child if this occurred when you were younger than 17 years of age.  If you were over 17 years of age, you could also file charges of prohibited sexual conduct, which is a second degree felony in Texas. 

Regardless of which option or options you chose to utilize, you may want to start moving forward now.  Personal injury suits have a shorter statute of limitations.   Texas has much more generous time lines for filing criminal charges in sexual assault and indecency cases. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption