What to do if my wife is a Lithuanian citizen living in Lithuaniae and we would like to divorce?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my wife is a Lithuanian citizen living in Lithuaniae and we would like to divorce?

Also, if we can divorce where do we file? I live in one state but was married in another?

Asked on January 13, 2013 under Family Law, Connecticut


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If both spouses live in different places or states, then the divorce can be filed in either place where one spouse has met the residency requirements of that state.  Venue is not determined by where you married.  Instead, it is determined by where the parties live now. 

If you both want the divorce, the process will be much simpler and quicker if one of you files and then you both request the judge to sign an agreed order.  As long as both spouses sign the final decree, most courts will only require one spouse to appear at the hearing where the judge signs the order.  This is often called a "prove-up" and lasts roughly ten-fifteen minutes. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption