What to do if I re-married thinking that I was divorced?

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I re-married thinking that I was divorced?

I was married 29 years ago; we divorced about 25 years ago. She sent me the papers I signed and sent them back. I am finding out that she may have never filed them. I have been remarried for 22 years. What can I do? Who should I contact? I cannot find any records of the divorce on-line but I can find the marriage record. Also, it looks like she may still be using my last name as well as another alias.

Asked on March 21, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There are websites that you can search for marital record. You can also contact the Texas department of health and vital statistics. If you were not officially divorce then your current marriage is null.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption