Can I be terminated from my job for medical reasons?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be terminated from my job for medical reasons?

I have been having leg problems and asked to use a stool I had a doctors note asking for it and they let me go can they do this?

Asked on July 27, 2011 Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  Generally speaking, if you are an employee at will - meaning that you do not have a contract on place of any sort - then you can be terminated for any reason and for no reason.  The exception to that general rule is that you can not be terminated for any discriminatory reason.  Discrimination is race, religion, sex, sexual preference, disability, etc.  Now, the issue here seems closest to disability.  But you need to be protected as a disabled person.  This is sometines difficult to figure out.  I would contact the department of labor and even possibly speak with an employment attorney.  The prior documentation s to your disability will matter too.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption