If I was let go from my job and money left in my 401K plan, how do I go about getting this money out?

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was let go from my job and money left in my 401K plan, how do I go about getting this money out?

I thought my ex-employer would have to send me information on what I want to do with the money left in the retirement plan I had with them. Is this correct or am I wrong about this?

Asked on December 12, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


Rhonda Patterson / The Patterson Law Office, PLLC

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Generally a plan administrator should send a former employee notification of his/her rights to retirement benefits upon termination.  You will want to contact your former employer's HR department or the plan administrator for your retirement plan if you have not received such documentation.  You may request plan documents and summaries to confirm your eligibility and payment amounts.  In the event of a dispute, you have the right to file a formal claim for benefits with the plan administrator.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption