What to do if I was let go from my job under the premises that I had taken part in a criminal act done by another employee who was let go?

UPDATED: Nov 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was let go from my job under the premises that I had taken part in a criminal act done by another employee who was let go?

I was told that my handwriting was used on a document. After seeing said document i told them that it was not my writing nor had i ever seen the document. One of the statements made during the meeting when i was terminated was “due to your association with….” which leads me to believe i was let go because of guilty by association with no real reason nor proper investigation.

Asked on November 28, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

While unfortunate, your employer's action was legal. The fact is that an employee can be terminated for this reason, any reason or even no reason at all. The fact is that in an "at will" employment arrangement, an employer has a great deal of discretion in setting the terms and conditions of the workplace; this includes how, when and why an employee is discharged.

Of course, this all assumes that you were not a victim of actionable discrimination or that the terms of company policy or a union contract/employment agreement were not violated due to the circumstances surrounding your firing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption