I was later informed by the law office of the plaintiff that they intended to proceed.Will the case be thrown out if I list the errors on my “answer”

UPDATED: May 28, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was later informed by the law office of the plaintiff that they intended to proceed.Will the case be thrown out if I list the errors on my “answer”

I received a UD summons / Complaint on 5-27-09 by a process server at my front door. The Complaint states that a 3 day pay or quit was posted and mailed on 5-22-09. There was nothing posted at my door on that date or on any day after that. As of 5-28-09 nothing has arrived in the mail. The amount owed is stated as $1900.00 and does not reflect a $500. pmt on the 5/5 and a $400 pmt on the 5/21. The day on site manager spoke to the prop.mgmt and explained the errors in their figures and reminded of the 2 pmts made in May. They agreed to stop the eviction. Verbally. for now.

Asked on May 28, 2009 under Real Estate Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a California lawyer, but in most states, eviction procedures in the law have to be followed to the letter, and the facts you've given might, if believed by the court, be enough to get this case thrown out.  You're basically admitting that you still owe another $1,000, though, and you might need to be ready with that.  There may be other facts that come into play here as well, that you haven't included.

I'd recommend that you not try defending this on your own. A landlord-tenant attorney in your area can give you sound advice, based on California law and all the facts of your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption