If I was just involved in a car accident, what is the process to pursue damages for diminished value?

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was just involved in a car accident, what is the process to pursue damages for diminished value?

While my car is in the process of being assessed, I am concerned that regardless of the quality of repair, I will have lost considerable value just because it was involved in the accident. The car’s current KBB value is around 30K. I expect about 15K in repair costs.

Asked on January 26, 2014 under Accident Law, Delaware


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There is no process in place to pursue damages for diminished value merely because your car was involved in an accident.  You can recover damages to repair your car.  If you were injured, you can recover damages for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering, and any permanent/lingering injury.  That is it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption