If I was just givin a 2-week notice to vacate, is this legal?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was just givin a 2-week notice to vacate, is this legal?

I’ve been a tenant for about 7 months. The letter that she made me sign isn’t official or filed with the courts.

Asked on November 30, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written lease for a definite period, such as the traditional one-year lease, you cannot be asked to leave prior to the lease's end unless--

1) You failed to pay rent;

2) You violated material, or important, provisions of the lease;

3) You purposely or reckless (grossly negligently) damaged the landlord's property;

4) For certain other fairly obvious good cause, like threatening the landlord or the landlord's staff; or

5) IF the lease itself allows early termination by the landlord, in which case, the landlord must comply with all the rules in the lease regarding that.

If you had either an oral lease or a written month-to-month lease, you were a month-to-month tenant and may be asked to leave on a month's notice--not on two weeks.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption