What to do if I was involved in an accident because an old lady rear-ended my car while I was at a stop light waiting for my signal to turn left?

UPDATED: Sep 26, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was involved in an accident because an old lady rear-ended my car while I was at a stop light waiting for my signal to turn left?

My car was at stop and she just rear-ended my car trying to reach for something. Then later I received my police report and it clearly said it was her fault. However, now that I am done with my medical treatment and my doctor sent the bill to the insurer, it responded by saying that it can only give me $250 and it is not going to pay the whole medical bill.

Asked on September 26, 2013 under Accident Law, Georgia


Paula McGill / Paula J. McGill, Attorney at Law

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor


Depending on your injuries, it may be worth taking her to small claims court.  Although you sue and serve her, you will also send a copy to her insurance company. In Georgia, small claims are handled in Magistrate Court.  This court has jurisdiction up to $15,000.  You may be able to recover all your medicals, lost wages, and pain and suffering.  In addition, if you win, you can recover costs for filing fees and service of the summons and complaint.

If you want the assistance of counsel, you should do so now.  A demand letter from the insurance company may bring results without a lawsuit.  However, the attorney may take anywhere from 25% to 33-1/3% before a lawsuit is brought.   


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Hello. If the insurer refuses you in a manner that seems 'wrong' to you, I suggest that you ought to turn to a private attorney for assistance. Please do turn to an attorney licensed in your state and she/he will be happy to assist you. The sorts of issues you describe tend to hinge on state law. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will speak initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in a limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.



Tricia Dwyer, Esq & Associates PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666

365 Days of the Year until 8 p.m. daily



Minnesota Law Firm

Christopher Earley / Law Office of Christopher Earley

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor


Sorry to hear about this.  Sometimes insurance companies do not pay a submitted bill in its entirety.  Seems as if more information would need to be known in order to answer your questions.  Check out my website which will answer all your questions.  Best of luck.


Chris Earley

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption