If I was involved in a hit and run several weeks ago, should I obtain a criminal defense attorney?

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was involved in a hit and run several weeks ago, should I obtain a criminal defense attorney?

It was in a parking garage that had cameras. I am unsure if there was a witness. The car I hit had its bumper partially fall off. I was hoping for the situation to blow over. Today, I saw two cop cars in my neighborhood. They left in about an hour or so. I realize I could be facing a class A misdemeanor or class D felony. I checked if there was a warrant out for my arrest in three counties. There is no warrant. Can they arrest me?

Asked on July 12, 2014 under Criminal Law, Missouri


Gregory Abbott / Consumer Law Northwest

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If they couldn't have arrested you before, they certainly can now that you have publically confessed to having committed a possible felony.  Shut up and only talk about this with a local criminal defense attorney in person.  Or, perhaps, you could consider actually taking responsibility for for own actions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption