I was involved in a car accident and I was charged with an improper turn. Could I fight the charge in court under the circumstances of that accident?

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was involved in a car accident and I was charged with an improper turn. Could I fight the charge in court under the circumstances of that accident?

At the time of 3 AM (low visability & wet roads from rain earlier in the night) I entered an intersection from a stop sign and as I entered the road I was struck by a vehicle driving down from behind the hill which I had not seen prior to the accident. I want to plead not guilty, but in doing so, what are my chances of successfully reducing liability or even succeeding in fighting the charge? If I can’t fight the charge then it’ll be difficult for my insurance company to reduce liability. I can’t afford a lawyer and I’m not sure if I can procure one to work on a contingency with little to gain

Asked on July 1, 2009 under Criminal Law, Connecticut


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area of the law.  I actually deal with this on a daily basis and am in courts all over the state helping various clients of mine.  I suggest pleading not guilty.  The,  get a copy of a letter from your insurance carrier showing that on the day of the accident you and the car was insured.  Show this to the state's atty.  Hopefully they will see you have insurance and will nolle it where you are not required to pay anything.  If you are able to borrow money to hire a lawyer i would be happy to help you here.  Just call and ask for jared 860-214-1137.  Otherwise, i wish you luck.  You should be able to do this on your own, but i am more than happy to help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption