What can I do if I’m being sued due to an accident for which I was not at fault?

UPDATED: May 22, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 22, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I’m being sued due to an accident for which I was not at fault?

A guy ran over a stop sign and hit me. Due to the impact, I lost control of my car and I damaged a metal fence from a house. The owner of the fence is now suing me when it was not my fault. The police report says it was the other guys fault too. I feel like I shouldn’t be the one sued.

Asked on May 22, 2014 under Accident Law, Texas


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

This is why you are required to have motor vehicle insurance.  Report the incident to your insurance company and they will assign a lawyer to investigate it and handle the case.  They will also likely file a claim to recover any money they spend from the other driver's policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption