If I am the victim of malpractice but have since moved out of state, where do I file my case?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am the victim of malpractice but have since moved out of state, where do I file my case?

I was informed by a specialist that the standard of care was not followed by a doctor that I was referred to which led to radical surgery and the growth of cancer. This happened less than a year ago and since then I have moved to another state. Do I need to hire a lawyer in my former state of residence to pursue malpractice?

Asked on September 23, 2015 under Malpractice Law, Arizona


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, the court that would have jurisdiction over this matter would be the state in which the injury occurred.  This court would have subject matter jurisdiction.  You need to find an attorney that specializes in medical malpractice and perhaps this particular form of malpractice in the former state.  Contact the state bar for state organizations/bar associations that have lists of such medical malpractice attorneys.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption