What can I do if I was in an auto accident with a motorcycle in which a women lost her leg but I got scared and left for a time although I came back?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I was in an auto accident with a motorcycle in which a women lost her leg but I got scared and left for a time although I came back?

The accident was deemed my fault. I saw her bone and freaked out and left the scene but came back to give my insurance and face the police. I was gone literally a couple of minutes at most and beat the police to the scene. I ended up with a witness being able to shift responsibilty of the accident to her from a former police officer and gave the statement to my insurer but told them it was just for my protection and to give her my liability coverage. However, she now wants me to give her $25,000 or she’s going to try to get me charged with a felony hit and run. The officer on the scene only charged me with a misdemeanor. Can she do it and can I fight it?

Asked on November 21, 2015 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

She can't "get you charged" with a felony--it's not under her control, since it's the state (the authorities) who decide whether and what to charge. She can ask the prosecutor to upgrade the charges, but the prosecutor is under no obligation whatsoever to do so. Since from what you write, the authorities have already concluded that this was a misdemeanor, it is unlikely (not impossible, but unlikely) that they will now upgrade the charges.
It is a crime, however, to threaten someone with prosecution to make them pay you money: it's a form of extortion. You may wish to inform the police of this threat.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption