I was in an accident with a company car. Who do I sue, the company, the driver or both?

UPDATED: May 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was in an accident with a company car. Who do I sue, the company, the driver or both?

The damages in the accident were only property. Currently, the insurance company is being unreasonable. They want me to accept partial fault for the accident even though I did not breach any of my duties. If they refuse to accept full liability and I decide to persue a law suit who do I sue?

Asked on May 15, 2009 under Accident Law, Colorado


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If you would pursue a lawsuit, know that Colorado follows a system using the modified comparative negligence – 50% rule.  In states following a modified comparative fault – 50% rule, an injured party can only recover if it is determined that his or her fault in causing the injury is 49% or less, with the resulting damage award reduced by the injured party’s amount of fault.  If the injured party’s fault level reaches 50%, he or she cannot recover any damages resulting from the accident.

Consult an experienced personal injury attorney in Colorado for advice on your particular situation.

You probably would want to sue both parties since both may share liability. In Colorado, if more than one person is negligent toward you, each person who has been found negligent to you is responsible for a proportional amount of the total damages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption