What to do if I was in a vehicle accident where the person who hit me had no insurance?

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was in a vehicle accident where the person who hit me had no insurance?

As a result my health insurance and vehicle insurance had to pay all costs. Repair of my vehicle was approximately $15k and my hospital was in excess of $50k. Now my health insurance wants my vehicle insurance to pay them back $40K plus. My vehicle insurance paid me $48K allowable under my vehicle insurance for collision or whatever its called due to my extensive injury. Do I have to give $40k to my health insurance?

Asked on June 16, 2014 under Personal Injury, Montana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, many insurance carriers now require reimbursement for the amount they have paid on a claim.  The amount your health insurance carrier is demanding is not set in stone.  You can negotiate with the insurance company for a substantially lesser amount.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption