If I was in a rear-end collision in a company vehicle, what should I do?

UPDATED: Apr 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was in a rear-end collision in a company vehicle, what should I do?

It is best if the company does not find out, however, if necessary I will have to let them know. Neither the police or insurance have been notified. There is no damage on the company vehicle but the vehicle hit had damage estimated at about $1400. This was 3 days ago, I am just looking for the best advice on getting out of something like this.

Asked on April 2, 2012 under Accident Law, Massachusetts


Robert Slim / Robert C. Slim - Attorney at Law

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I cannot tell for sure whether you were in the rear vehicle or the front vehicle.  If you were in the rear vehicle, then I cannot see how you will be able to keep this a secret.  The owner of the front vehicle will either file a claim with your vehicle's insurance company, or the front vehicle's insurance company will file the claim themselves.  

If you were the front vehicle, then you might be able to keep this under the table, but I wouldn't recommend it.  You run the risk of your company finding out about the accident and then taking action against you for failing to report it no matter how minor the accident may seem.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption