How do you calculate an settlement for a motor vehicle accident?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do you calculate an settlement for a motor vehicle accident?

I was in a MVA where I spun out on black ice and then while stopped another car hit me head on. The 2nd collision injured my knees very badly but nothing was broken. My left knee was difficult to heal and I had to go to physical therapy for about 3 months. I just received an offer of $17,000 from the insurance company of which $12,000 is medical bills. I thought that you were at least suppose to get 2 times your medical bills. Is this correct or am I wrong?

Asked on August 25, 2014 under Personal Injury, Illinois


Maury Beaulier /

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You should retain a personal injury lawyer to maximize your settlemeht.  If you agree to any amount, you will be required to sign a release so you caannot seek any further damages in the future.  Those damages may not even be apparent at present. There is absolutely no rule that requires damages of twice your medical bills.  However, if you have some permanency, the damages may be far greater.  Do yourelf a favor and retain counsel. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption