What should I do if I was in a fender bender that was not my fault but the other driver’s insurer is denying my claim?

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I was in a fender bender that was not my fault but the other driver’s insurer is denying my claim?

We exchanged info but there was no police at the scene. She said she doesn’t want to go through insurance and after a couple of days she stopped answering my phone calls. I called her insurqnce company filled a claim, however she doesn’t answer the phone and there was no accident report at the accident scene, so her insurer wouldn’t pay me.

Asked on July 3, 2014 under Accident Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can sue her. The insurer can choose to not voluntarily pay, if they feel that the accident was not their driver's fault and/or they do not have the information they need to make a determination. However, that is simply them choosing to not voluntarily pay; it is not a binding or legal determination of fault or liability. If you believe the other driver was at fault and neither she nor her insurer will pay, your recourse is to sue her (for smaller claims, you may wish to sue in small claims court, acting as your own attorney ["pro se"]). If you can prove in court that it is more likely than not that she was at fault and caused your damage, you can get a court judgment in your favor, ordering her to pay (at which time, if she has insurance, the insurer will typically pay; the insurer may also settle at some point before trial, if they see that you're serious about suing and believe that there's a reasonable chance you'll win).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption