What to do if I was in a car accident recently but am uninsured and so is the guy who I rear-ended?

UPDATED: Sep 26, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was in a car accident recently but am uninsured and so is the guy who I rear-ended?

I don’t make a whole lot of money, have no savings or assets either. The guy has been trying to contact me and has said he will take legal action if I don’t contact him soon. How should I go about contacting him? And what should I tell him?

Asked on September 26, 2013 under Accident Law, Wisconsin


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Hello. Typically, in such situations, you are wise to have an attorney assist you. Please contact an attorney in your state and she will be happy to help you. Do not drive or get behind the wheel of a vehicle wihtout adequate insurance coverage paid and in-place.  Please do turn to an attorney licensed in your state and she/he will be happy to assist you. The sorts of issues you describe tend to hinge on state law. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will speak initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in a limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.



Tricia Dwyer, Esq & Associates PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666

365 Days of the Year until 8 p.m. daily



Minnesota Law Firm

Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should call him back and try to work out a payment plan to pay him for the damage you caused to the back of his vehicle.  Your costs will only go up from here if he has to take you to court to get a judgment against you.  You might want to consider hiring an attorney for the limited purpose of drawing up a written contract outlining the terms of your settlement and payment plan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption