What can I do if I was in a car accident about 1 1/2 years ago and was severely injured?

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I was in a car accident about 1 1/2 years ago and was severely injured?

I had suffered from severe whiplash, TMJ and I had nerves from my neck that were sending pain to my brain. I went to the emergency room 3 times – 1 was because I couldn’t even get through work without horrible muscle spasms that caused my back to lock up and followed with excruciating pain. I underwent an exploratory medial branch block injection procedure (with 8 needles). They wanted to shut off the nerves in hopes that would help, however my insurance ran out. I have no fault insurance, so unless it’s a permanent injury I cannot sue. I have nerves sending pain to my brain and almost 2 years later the pain is the same.

Asked on October 28, 2014 under Personal Injury, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Speak with a personal injury attorney *immediately*: from what you describe, the injury or condition you've been left with would meet or exceed the threshold for being able to sue. Moreover, since many PI attorneys provide a free initial consultation (you can check on this before making the appointment), you don't really have anything to lose by doing this. The reason to do this quickly is that there is a time limit (called a "statute of limitations") on how long you have to sue--once that time passes, then no matter how good your case may be, you can longer bring a lawsuit. You say that the accident was 1 1/2 years ago; don't let more time go by before speaking with a lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption