What to do if I was injured in a car accident, was not at-fault and have no health insurance?

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was injured in a car accident, was not at-fault and have no health insurance?

I was in a car accident last august about 10 months ago. I suffered a concussion, was in the hospital for 1 week and now have a $31,000 hospital bill which I have no way of paying. I am still suffering from health problems from the accident. I had no health insurance at the time and still have none. I have not been able to see a doctor once since the accident. The at-fault driver of the accident was clearly responsible for my injuries and issued a citation by the police for failing to stop at a crosswalk. I am worried that I will soon be sued by the hospital and ambulance company. I have no way of paying for a lawyer.

Asked on June 11, 2014 under Personal Injury, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You say that the other driver was at fault; in that case, you can sue him to recover compensation for your pain and suffering, for your medical bills, for any lost wages, for any reduced earning potential, and for other, out-of-pocket costs, if any (e.g. if you had to hire someone to keep house or shop for you). However, while you can sue him to recover these amounts--and may well be able to find an attorney who will take the case on "contingency," or in exchange for part of the money recovered (usually around 1/4 or 1/3)--you are stiill responsible for all own bills and costs, and will have to pay them or be sued. If sued, you may need to consider bankrupty as an option--these kind of bills are typically "unsecured" debt (e.g. debt that does not have any property attached to or securing it, the way a home secures a mortgage), and unsecured debt is the kind of debt which bankruptcy deals with the best.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption