If I was in a car accident 5 months ago, what can I do about a settlement?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was in a car accident 5 months ago, what can I do about a settlement?

I have seen my regular doctor since then but there is little that he can do. I have no insurance or way to pay but he suggests I see a chiropractor. I have not yet settled with the insurance company. Am I screwed on a settlement?

Asked on September 19, 2014 under Personal Injury, Georgia


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are injured in an accident that was not your fault, many times a chiroprator will treat you on a lien basis.  That means the chiropractor will get paid out of your settlement.  However, the chiropractor will likely only do so if you retain a personal injury attorney.  The chiropractor knows that if you have a personal injury attorney, you will get a better settlement, and the attorney will see to it that the chiropractor gets paid from the proceeds.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption