What to do if I was in an accident but neither the other driver or i noticed that my insurance was not valid at the time?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was in an accident but neither the other driver or i noticed that my insurance was not valid at the time?

We exchanged only insurance and registration information; we didn’t exchange personal information. Now, 26 hours later, I find out that I’m not insured and have no way to cantact other person to try to settle this. What should I do? Can I try to contact via their insurance company?

Asked on February 20, 2018 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you were not at fault in the accident, you can file claims for property damage and personal injury with the at-fault party's insurance carrier.
If you were at fault, the other party can sue you for negligence.  If the other party has uninsured motorist coverage, their insurance carrier will sue you to recover the cost it expended on the claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption