I was illegal locked in a gym membership

UPDATED: May 28, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was illegal locked in a gym membership

Hi, Do you give free legal advice on debt. A gym tricked me and dint let me cancel my membership. I opted for only 12 week plan and only visited them about 12 times.Then without my knowledge they locked me in for 2 year membership. Now they are bothering me with collection calls. Do you legal advice on this

Asked on May 28, 2009 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You need to take your original membership contract to a lawyer in your area who handles consumer fraud cases.  One place to look for an attorney is our website, http://attorneypages.com

Consumer protection laws vary fairly widely from one state to another, and I'm not a Pennsylvania attorney; my research doesn't suggest any strong laws in your state.  The PA attorney general's office has a consumer fraud section that will take your complaint, and which might act on it if enough people are affected.  Still, basic contract law is always available, and might give you an out, depending on all the facts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption