What to do if I was hurt on an Army base after hours at a Christmas party?

UPDATED: Jan 16, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 16, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was hurt on an Army base after hours at a Christmas party?

I stepped outside to smoke a cigarette and stepped over a curb thinking it was grass and fell into a ditch about 4.5 ft down. It resulted in an acute Jones fracture and I’m having surgery next week.There was essentially no lights except those coming from the building inside. They immediately put cones up after I fell. It was a family function and it could’ve been any of the 30 children attending.

Asked on January 16, 2014 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

First, be aware that it is unlikely that the Army would be liable: for them to be liable, it would have to have been "unreasonably careless" (negligent) to have not had lights in that location, and since landlords, property owners, etc. are not required to light up every sq. foot of their property--rather, typically stairs, walkways, and other places where people are expected to step--there's a good chance that they were not liable.

Second, even if they were liable, if you were also careless, such as stepping without looking at where you were going, or stepping into a dark area that is off the normal foot traffic patters, your carelessness would essentially offset their liability.

Third, the fact that children "could" have been hurt is irrelevant: the law deals with actual injuries, not possible ones.

Fourth, there are typically special rules to comply with for suing the government, which rules shorten your time to do so and also add some cost and complexity.

Overall, while you may wish to consult with a personal injury attorney in detail about the case to confirm, there is a good chance you do not have a viable case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption