If I was hospitalized against my will by the police, am I responsible for the hospital bill?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was hospitalized against my will by the police, am I responsible for the hospital bill?

I had my ex call the police when I had a panic attack after our separation. The police made me go to the hospital for a mental health evaluation, against my will. I was told to go, or they would arrest me and force me. I had no job, no insurance, and no way to pay the bill, all of which I told both the police and the hospital. I now have a large hospital bill that I can not pay and am being threatened with collection and wage garnishment. Am I responsible for the bill?

Asked on December 29, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately from the circumstances that you have written about and under the law of all states in this country, you would be personally responsible for the medical bill that was incurred for your treatment resulting from your hopitalization due to your panic attack.

I suggest that you call the accounts receivables of the hospital to discuss your financial situation in order to see if you can be placed on a monthly payment plan as well to see if the principal amount can be reduced. If you are not successful with this approach, you might consider consulting with a bankruptcy attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption