What to do if I was hit by an SUV while walking out of a gas station and the guy left?

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was hit by an SUV while walking out of a gas station and the guy left?

I’m really sore but haven’t gone to the doctor yet. The cops haven’t given me any information about the guy either yet. This happened yesterday morning.

Asked on June 21, 2014 under Personal Injury, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you can identify (e.g. from a police report; or from the station's records (such as of a charge card) or security camera) who hit you, you could sue him for the cost of any medical treatment, for any lost wages (if you misssed work), for pain and suffering if you suffer long -asting disability or impairment, and possibly for other out-of-pocket costs or loses, such as if you have trouble walking and have to pay for cabs. However, the amount of money you can recover is based on the extent of your costs, bills, and injuries; if you are just sore but have little or not medical bills and no real or lasting disability, it would not be worth suing, since you would spend more suing than you would recover in compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption